Wednesday, February 19, 2014

We Survived Dinner!

Happy Wednesday everyone. Hope you are all having a good week and a good February. Today in Akko was heights training and security day. We started with short personal interviews with the staff about the program so far, our thoughts, feelings, and expectations, and really anything else we and they thought was important. They were very surprised when they learned how much Hebrew I actually know. Now I can't eavesdrop on their conversations while they think none of us understand! Oh well. I always love doing that at the beginning of programs where I know the native language. I did it in Spain last summer too.

After everyone had their interview a heights safety trainer came to teach us how to use the scaffolding and construction safety equipment safely so we don't die while we are doing our reconstruction work. It started with the instructor going through a presentation covering the basics of scaffolding and heights safety. He spoke poor English so he had to be translated. Sorry Michael if you're reading this, but your translating skills need some work! I definitely understood more than just what he told us in English, and there were some things missing. Anywho, we got the gist of the message and didn't miss anything too important. Hand gestures and pantomiming are a universal language. After the presentation portion was the practical. We went out to the Ottoman Walls in the moat where there was scaffolding built, and we practiced using the safety equipment. In order for us to be able to do most of the work during the rest of the program we had to pass this quick-course, and I think we all did pretty well. After we all finished the "test" our day was done, so we headed back to the apartment.

The six of us have developed a schedule of responsibility so we all know what we have to do each day in the apartment. Today was my day to help make dinner. Oy. I've never made dinner for more than just one person without having a recipe written in front of me and also knowing that we have all the ingredients. Tonight, however, we had to create something from scratch, on the spot, and hope it was edible. We decided to make chicken stir-fry, and I hoped it would turn out edible. The rice was overdone but not too much. The crunch gave it a little more flavor. The chicken and vegetables actually came out nicely. I was pleased and surprised. I don't think anyone is going to bed hungry, but I made sure they knew that I wouldn't be offended if they decided to go out to a restaurant for a quick bite to eat!

No matter, it was a good day. I'm up too late and need to go to sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day, I can tell!

1 comment: