Sunday, February 23, 2014

Archaeology Week

Welcome back friends! In Israel the work week starts on Sunday, so today we got back to work and here is a new blog post.

I'll give a brief summary of what I did over the weekend. The weekend starts on Friday, so I will start there. Friday I went to the mall. That is really all I did. Since my camera broke on the airplane I needed to buy a new one, and I thought that the mall would be a good place to get one. Nzar was taking two of the girls to a store and was going to show them a little bit of the city, so I decided to go along and then continue on to the mall after. After they bought what they needed Nzar took us up on one part of the walls. He told us a little bit about them and then showed us the direction to the mall. We walked there and then went looking for the things we needed. We spent a while there. The mall closed at 2, and we were there past closing time. One of the girls wanted to buy her SIM card there, and that took time. They also went shoe shopping (typical girls!). I found a new camera, so my trip was successful. We finished by eating sushi in the food court right before the mall closed. Altogether a good day.

Yesterday (Saturday) was a relaxing day. I woke up late and didn't really do anything. I did a little exploring of the Old City, to help me better know my way around. I walked around the walls, through the harbor and around the moat. I tried to walk as far as I could on the walls, but I didn't walk through hotels or restaurants. I ate some delicious falafel and pita from one of the store fronts, and just relaxed.

Today started archaeology week. A lawyer for the Israel Antiquities Authority came and lectured to us about the history of archaeological laws in Israel and the IAA. This afternoon we started Hebrew lessons. Everyone else in the group either doesn't know Hebrew or needs to relearn it, so my level is significantly better than their's. Their lessons, which are at a first grade level, would be too basic, so I am doing readings separate from them. After ulpan it was time for me to help make dinner. We made chicken salad with cucumber, onions, bell pepper and sweet chili sauce. It was pretty good.

I will put up some pictures soon. The internet is being rather slow right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment