Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Documentation Week Part 1

Happy Week 7 everyone! Here is my mid-week blog post to cover everything we've done since Sunday. It hasn't been a tremendously busy week, but we are still working. People have been asking me about the weather lately, so I'll give a brief description of how it is here in Akko. The mornings are usually windy and cool, about 50-60 degrees. Often there are clouds. By the late morning/early afternoon the temperature has gone up to the upper 60s or low 70s, depending on the amount of sunlight. It is still windy, meaning in the shade it can feel cool. About once a week we get a rainstorm, usually overnight. It is very comfortable and like sitting on the balcony watching the waves. Anyway, back to what we did so far.

On Sunday we began really learning about the process of documentation and evaluation of conservation projects. We had a lecture discussing those topics and then did a local culture meeting in Akko at the Shop for Meaning, an arts store run by people with special needs. After our introduction to Shop for Meaning there was another Hebrew lesson, but I did not attend. I asked the staff and they said that it was meant for those who didn't know Hebrew, and that my level of understanding was beyond what they have had in the past. So they excused me from attending.

On Monday We started with another lecture about conservation plans and then started our own in the courtyard of the International Conservation Center. We each got a small area of the courtyard to document, record, analyze and evaluate. My section was a one-meter long and three-meter tall piece of wall in the corridor of the courtyard, as well as one-stone deep and halfway up the connected façade of the vault. I started by (and only had time for) drawing a rough sketch of my area and then measuring the dimensions of each stone as well as the dimensions of the entire area. We then had another lecture about structural engineering elements and issues of buildings. I personally wasn't that interested in the engineering side of the day, but some of the information was important to learn.

Today we learned about photography and photographic documentation. The beginning of the lecture began with covering the basics of photography and cameras, which was review for me. Having a grandfather very knowledgeable in photography and taken a photography class meant that I knew most of the information that the lecturer told us, but I did learn a few things. After the lecture we went back to the courtyard to get advice about how to photo-document our areas.

The rest of the week is also devoted to learning the process of documentation. Stay tuned for my next blog at the end of this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment